Lots Going On


I cast on a new shawl today. I’ve been knitting for more than twenty years but almost daily again since the winter of 2017. My stamina and skills have grown by leaps and bounds and my interests have changed, too; more and more, I’m interested in which colours sing together and which ones go flat. 

Today’s shawl is a new pattern by Stephen West called FantastitchI was trying to figure out how to knit a version that I could get excited about and a knitting friend reminded me that I probably have enough full balls at home, wound, that I could just start without adding anything new.  She was almost right.  Five out of seven yarns are from my stash and three were already wound. 

So far, so good. The first few sections really work and the current section is working hard. At a glance, the burgundy on grey is a bit drab but then you can see the  burgundy growing out from the centre. I suspect it will sing a little louder once the next colour is added.

. . . . .

Rose Cousins’ new album, Bravado, came out this week and I’ve been listening to it a lot. I supported her Kickstarter campaign in December and a package arrived this week with a signed CD and extra, lovely merch.  


I was trying to write something last week about how life can be both light and heavy at the same time.  The words weren’t coming but I found something else to say and hit publish. I kept working away and then Rose’s reprise of The Benefits of Being Alone came on and I felt seen, even without having said much of anything. Rose knew what to say and how to say it. Taken together, both versions of The Benefits of Being Alone said everything I was feeling.  She talks about her album and a bit about those two versions in this interview with Tom Power on CBC q.

Rose Cousins is coming to Fredericton in a few weeks and will be playing at Wilmot United Church. In the meantime, she’s playing in Toronto and Ottawa before coming further east. Go see her if you can.

. . . . .

Speaking of Tom Power, his recent interview with Dallas Green is very encouraging. It’s helpful to hear about a person’s experience with grief and other daily challenges. It’s also encouraging to know that someone as seemingly prolific as he is doesn’t write every day.  


. . . . .

The sun is starting to shine and the grimness of February is lifting. Hallelujah!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coping Strategies

Pause

Gremlins